Elder Eyring saw his father-in-law serving his family one day and felt inspired to write it down. After that he said,"I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.
""More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened."
In that same talk Elder Eyring encouraged us " to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness." So I found a suitable book and began.
In that same talk Elder Eyring encouraged us " to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness." So I found a suitable book and began.
What a blessing it has been in my life. It helps me focus on the good in people and the constant care of my Father in Heaven. Some days the evidence is found in the fact that I have a job. On others I have asked for something in prayer and received the answer in scriptures right away.
He was also right about the pondering. So often I would have quickly forgotten a thoughtful act had I not looked for it. Just yesterday my brother-in-law found a cooking gadget I wanted at a garage sale and would take no money for it. He dropped it off at my work and left with only a few words. Business crowded out the moment. I'm glad the writing and the reading of it will keep bringing it back.
Too often we hear people suffering a tragedy ask "Why is God doing this to me?" How marvelous it would be if they would ask that question daily on the heals of a blessing.
(The views written in this post are the views of the author and do not necessarily represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)
No comments:
Post a Comment