Truths, Tests, and Talents


My college class on Logic had a lasting effect on how I view the world. Today I am seeing truth broken down into axioms that might be used in a later proof. Here are a few to consider:

  • All consequences are not immediate.

  • Cause and Effect are difficult to perceive because of the wideness of eternity (pre-earth life/life/that which comes after.)

  • One of the purposes of life is to prove ourselves...this is a test. (Abraham 3:28)

  • One of the tests, in fact, one of the most important to pass, is to see if we will be Christ-like in our Charity. (Ether 12:28)

  • One test of our Charity is the weakness of the people around us.

  • If we don't pass the Charity test, we will loose the talents we have. (Matthew 25:28)

  • People that have talents, and can keep them, will get more...and that is fair.

"Wherefore, I know by this thing which thou hast said, that if the Gentiles have not charity, because of our weakness, that thou wilt prove them, and take away their talent, yea, even that which they have received, and give unto them who shall have more abundantly." Ether 12:35


(The views written in this post are the views of the author and do not necessarily represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)

2 comments:

Emilee said...

I have never thought about it before, but the hardest thing about Charity really is the weaknessess of other people. But I guess that is the test of it all, if people around us were perfect there would be no reason or challenge in regards to Charity.

Christ-like Charity seems so overwhelming to me at times. Being like Christ seems so out of reach. I find that it helps to look at someone I know that has these characteristics, someone more human, and try to think what they would do. What would my aunt or uncle do, or what would my sister do, what would my friend do, etc.? Then the task doesn't seem so daunting.

Marti said...

I agree. In fact, I'm pretty sure that earthly parents were given to us so we could start learning about our Heavenly Parents...and being parents ourselves might teach us even more.