Pick Your Poultry


"...I say you can pick your poultry. You can either be like Chicken Little and run about shouting 'The sky is falling; the sky is falling' or you can be like the Little Red Hen and forge ahead with the productive tasks of living, regardless of who does or doesn't help you or who does or doesn’t believe just the way you believe."
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

With their love for the sensational, TV and News organizations have gone the Chicken Little route. We need reminders in our world that there is a better choice. The best motivators that I know of to engage in "productive tasks" are goals. Not the make and break kind but the make, try for a while, and adjust when needed kind.

One of my goals is to read scriptures every day. The words of the Bible and the Book of Mormon bring me great peace and understanding. They help me focus on important ideas. I'm not very good at memorizing scriptures, but when I need them, their meanings and sometimes key phrases are usually there for me.

(The views written in this post are the views of the author and do not necessarily represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

"The best motivators that I know of to engage in "productive tasks" are goals. Not the make and brake kind but the make, try for a while, and adjust when needed kind."

We love this idea! It sounds like a quote from Preach My Gospel! Goals are extremely important, and learning how to set goals and then planning how to acheive them is central to missionary work (and most other worthwhile work, the "productive tasks of living").

Thank you, Marti!
President and Sister Pike

Carilee said...

The "Pick Your Poultry" concept is a great motivator to improve one's outlook on life. As today is Inauguration Day, my thoughts turn to how vital it is that more Americans adopt a Little Red Hen view and do all we can to respect and support our new leaders, even when may disgree with them. Rather than running around shouting that the sky is falling, why not take a Little Red Hen approach and go to work writing letters to our elected representatives, respectfully sharing our view of what would be best for our country?

Marti said...

I agree. There has been too much disrespect in the dialogue lately. I like the idea of being statesmen. I is certainly more difficult, but it might help us get past the non-issues to what is really important.